Friday, March 03, 2006

Wikipedia and Britannica: The Kid's All Right (And So's the Old Man)

Wikipedia and Britannica: The Kid's All Right (And So's the Old Man)

..."The primary question for info pros is, of course, reliability. Can "the public" concoct and maintain a free, authoritative encyclopedia that’s unbiased, complete, and reliable? ..."

I think wikis, like the internet, are going to be around for awhile. And they will have their use, as does google for quick reference (I use google for quick spelling checks, even. And I prefer their maps to mapquest). Nice to see a delineation of the differing purpose and scope between wikis and a print encyclopedia.

Again, I'm reminded of Roy Tennant's tenet that 'Librarians like to search.... the rest of us like to find." I can't help think that if finding is so much easier on a wiki, it will be the medium of choice.

No comments: