Monday, January 14, 2008

Welcome back, Faculty!

Good morning. It's good to have you all back on campus.

I’m still in the process of making New Year’s resolutions. I was going to pick one until I learned that, according to a recent study, people working on changing more than one thing at a time in their lives were more successful. So: which diet? How much time to I devote to a variety of concerns, like the bathroom makeover? How do I save more money this year? How many books to read?

My daughter read 156 books last year… of course the fact she works in a bookstore exposes her to the best and brightest of both new and classic books.

I hope you’ll resolve to make it a reading year. Or a least a year to use the library in all its glory: whether books, perhaps by downloading the audio version; databases of incredibly important information; or bringing your class in to get the kind of instruction they only dream about.


News you can use:

No surprise that our database use continues to rise…final tally for last year will be somewhere over 16%.

New database : Theatre and Drama. Theatre in Video contains more than 250 definitive performances of the world's leading plays, together with more than 100 film documentaries, online in streaming video - more than 500 hours in all.

Trials: Gale and EBSCO database trials continue until Feb. 15. You are encouraged to use and review as many of these resources as possible. The products range from Novelist, CINAHL, Academic Search Premier, and Auto Repair Reference Center to Small Business Resource Center and Biography Resource Center. There are 55 EBSCO products (links are grouped by type of library or by individual new product) and 6 Cengage Learning/ Gale products.

We're updating the old and providing new tutorials, including Searchpath, which is designed to help you find and critically evaluate information resources.

So:

Any questions? Contact me. I may not speak as clearly and well as Dr. Vietti, but she's my model, and I'll answer your library questions.

Have a great semester.

Singing,

Micaela

No comments: