Monday, January 26, 2009

The Graveyard Book


Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book just won the Newbery Award, the most prestigious award granted by librarians for children's literature each year. It so happens that I bought it recently, so you can check it out from this library as soon as we get the Newbery Medal sticker placed on its front cover. I have tried to get a complete collection of Newbery and Caldecott( children's book illustration) winners - one for reference, one for checkout - for our collection each year. This year I tuned in to the first ever live streaming broadcast of the events in Denver, at ALA's mid-winter conference. I have never before been reading the winner at home - I'm on page 79 - when the Newbery was announced! (So far there's been a triple murder, and a wandering baby, and a girl named Scarlett, and ghosts, and the Sleer...)

You can hear Gaiman himself reading the book, chapter by chapter, one per city on his recent book promotion tour. Check out his journal, revealing most of his reaction to the phone call announcing his win. Interestingly enough, the movie of his book Coraline is being released February 6th, next week as I write this.

1 comment:

RichLayers said...

We TOTALLY have to go see Coraline 3D at the Warren that weekend!

I'm thinking Balcony seats!

This is a big deal!!!!