Monday, January 11, 2010

Dear Faculty


Literature comes in many forms: right now the book club I’m in is reading “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It’s in that hard-to-know-when-to-put-it-down form of letters...



January 11, 2010

Dear Faculty,

So glad you are back! Soon the students will return and we’ll get to working together again.

While you were away, I managed to get a Video database bought and it’s running now: American History in Video. The 2000 hours of newsreels and History Channel and A&E and such could keep you busy for a year. I have discovered you can embed sections into your online courses; so look for it on your pipeline home page, under the library tab at the top.

Ronda Holt, my lovely Information Technology Librarian, has the Oxford Reference, as well as the Grove Art and Music databases up and running. By the way, at 400,000+ searches, my online database use was up 32% this year. That was only exceeded by my book checkouts, up 35%. Twenty electronic books a day were checked out if you average the use over 365 days – which is why their use is approaching that of the monograph.

Please let me know what you think about my new library catalog. The presentation of material makes 'me' look beautiful. Which reminds me; look for Journal Finder this spring. It will allow you to click through directly to any article you find in any place on any database we own... a finding aid, if you will. Now that’s speed for you.

Oh, I’m very excited to announce the addition of library space in the 5000 building, very near the bookstore. Some of you Andover Faculty have peeked in...the “5000 Library Services” is a reading/reference room, staffed from 9 am to 7 pm Monday through Thursday, and 9 am to Noon on Friday, with all the services and resources I can possibly offer.

And finally, what brings me to write to you today is to announce a Library award to one of your faculty members who demonstrates the best use of the library in teaching and learning. I’m calling it called the The DEWEY Award: “Developing Education with an Excellent Library – Yours”

... also known as “Dream Educator Wisely Enthralls You in the library.”

You’ll be able to nominate your fellow faculty who demonstrate:

• innovative, consistent, effective use of the library in teaching
• program activities that bring students and/or the community into the library
• promotion, encouragement or support of the library and its resources and services
• contributions towards thoughtful, timely, and in-depth resource development

I’ll have everything posted on the website for you. The award will be made during National Library Week in April, and announced at the spring Institutional Development Day. The winner will receive:

• a $500 grant to select books for the library out of the library budget
• a $50 Barnes and Noble gift certificate to purchase books for self-inspiration presented in a lovely basket of goodies
• an appearance on library READ posters and bookmarks
• a permanent position in the library on the Award plaque listing all winners
• and a certain amount of publicity or notoriety

I can’t wait to see who wins!

Thanks again, dear faculty. Have a wonderful semester – I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love,

Your Library

No comments: