Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Future through the Past

Three weeks ago my husband and I wended our way to the oldest free lending library in Innerpeffray, Scotland where I was able to touch the past.

We saw books and materials from Roman times through the Kings of Scotland, all hands on: I skimmed the gardening advice in books for the cottager; noted the laws banning football and golf as distractions; and turned the pages of the King James Bible from the print run that went to all the churches of Scotland, inspiring the Covenanter’s rebellion. We were celebrating 40 years of marriage with this trip to Scotland. It was an unforgettable experience, and took place in a tranquil setting in view of the River Earn, with mists and soft drips of rain making this Outlander wonder exactly where I was in time.

Butler celebrates a grand anniversary – 90 years – in just two years’ time; and its hundredth in twelve years. I’m on sabbatical this fall, exploring what it would take to create a Butler Community College archive. Do we have the wherewithal to create a store of documents, photographs, memorabilia and items that hold the memories and history of this institution going forward? Should you care to assist in any way with advice or materials or experience, I ask that you let me know and I’ll visit with you this fall.
I’ll be back at the end of the semester with the results of my research. I’ve no qualms about leaving the library in the capable hands of my staff.

Teresa Mayginnes, Public and Technical Services Librarian, and Sheryle Dunbar, Library Administrative Assistant, will take over most of my duties. Contact them or any of the librarians at Butler Libraries if you have needs we can help you with. Have a great semester.

No comments: