Just a few hesitations:
Julie Todaro
More options 3:35pm (5 hours ago)
Earlier this morning one of our VP's sent me the link as well. I reviewed
the service and had an IL expert review as well. This is what I sent my VP -
so obviously I'm including more explanation than our list members need as we
all know the lingo and have the background knowledge:
"This is a commercial for-profit service for students (there are about ten
of these on the market)...Students can subscribe and pay monthly (or in a
number of different choices) to get the full text of the article. (They can
search and get citations for free, but then must pay to get the entire
article.)
Faculty can register and get a free subscription for one semester, but then
they have to buy the course pack service and require their students to buy
the course pack service in order for faculty to continue to use for free. I
don't think there are many of our cc faculty who use the "students must
purchase course packs" process in their classes, but, frankly, I'm not sure.
This service provides full text information from 300 journals as opposed to
our myriad of databases which - as you know - offer full text books and
journals for free to our students and faculty from literally tens of
thousands of journals and periodicals.
It seems like their "angle" here is - through natural language searching -
it takes users/subscribers to the sentence within the article ...but, we
have that capability as well."
No comments:
Post a Comment