Pop.: 1 Plus 5,000 Volumes
I started library work in 1993... well, I started school then. It was actually the fall of 1992 when I went to my daughters' new grade school in Waltham, MA, to volunteer for an hour a week just to see if I liked working in a library as much as I liked visiting one.
It was a delightful time, even when I had to make amends for the library book my #2 daughter left in a snowbank out of fear of the consequences of it being returned late. I've ever since been in favor of no fines, of making it easy to borrow, easy to return books and such. That's moved me into advocating a "Barnes&Noble" or club style library, even in the academic setting: a place to go that's not home or work or church that one can sit and read and learn and visit or just contemplate the world.
Now I must express my admiration for the town of Monowi, Nebraska and the work of Elsie Eiler, who runs "Rudy's Library." Full story here, and God bless you, Elsie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Of Course We Closed
Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...
-
Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...
-
Hey, have any of you noticed how much fun it is to read your own blog? What is it -- admiring your word choice? seeing it in print? the thr...
-
Here's a new one: Will 'moblogs' mean mo' money? Last modified: April 1, 2004, 4:00 AM PST By Paul Festa Staff Wr...
1 comment:
...Even when I had to make amends for the library book my #2 daughter left in a snowbank out of fear of the consequences of it being returned late.*laughs* Oh, I can so see her doing that! I miss you and Jay, and I hope I'll be able to see you this summer. :)
--Elizabeth
Post a Comment