Monday, March 07, 2005

Wired News: Library Shuffles Its Collection

Wired News: Library Shuffles Its Collection

Checking out a new iPod now applies to more than shopping trips or web browsing. This week the South Huntington Public Library on Long Island, New York, became one of the first public libraries in the country to loan out iPod shuffles. ...

...In addition, the library has the potential to save a great deal of money. Latini said that most titles on CDs cost the library around $75, whereas in MP3 format, they range from $15 to $25.

"In the end, obviously, we're literally saving money," he said. "The units are paying for themselves."

The library even throws in a cassette adapter and an FM transmitter for use in a car. Patrons do, however, have to provide their own headphones for sanitary reasons.

"I think it's a very clever use of the technology and I never thought about (using iPods for audio books) until I saw the sign at the library," Jacknow said.

**************

What do you think? Would an academic library find use for such? We've only just invested in audio books on CD - a small collection. Do you use them? Would you be more likely to borrow an I-Pod?

Thanks,

Micaela





No comments:

Of Course We Closed

Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...