Sunday, June 05, 2005

�Mockingbird� author makes rare appearance - BOOKS - MSNBC.com

�Mockingbird� author makes rare appearance - BOOKS - MSNBC.com

"Harper Lee, who has been dodging publicity for decades since she published her only book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," made a rare step into the limelight to be honored by the Los Angeles Public Library..."

When we did our program "One Book, One Community" this spring, we read To Kill a Mockingbird. We were thrilled to have "Scout" visit El Dorado, and see her and "Jem" in Arkansas City. I know I had to check at one point to see if the author was still alive, and find out what else she had published (nothing else).

I've thought about the novel several times in the past week as I am reading The Secret Life of Bees. The protagonist is older by 5 years, and the action links more strongly to what is taking place in the United States during President Johnson's administration. Yet there is a quality to it, not just the setting, that reminds me of Lee's work.

No comments:

Of Course We Closed

Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...