Friday, March 24, 2006

Homestay in Mexico

Rachel's saga continues:

Homestay, not to be confused with stay home. I´m at the home of the pastor of the church here in Guaymas, and I´m spending the night in what´s known as a homestay. Deana, his wife, has kindly shown me to the internet connection, and therefore I´ve plugged in for a few minutes of your time.

The past few days have been interesting, to say the least. Liz and I have reflected on the meaning of ¨Mexico Days,¨ which are both very very long, and very very short. It´s amazing how much a person can get done in a Mexico Day, how each day seems to hold a week of ativities, and looking back on events of the morning feels like looking back on things that happened a week ago. And yet the time flies by... tomorrow is our last full day here, and I can hardly believe it. Back in the U.S., ask me what time it is and I´ll be off by half an hour at most. Here, on the other hand, I am constantly surprised to learn what time it is, as I simply let go of the concept and just do whatever I am doing.

We´ve finished building all the picnic tables, and four of them are painted. I´m hoping to get to finish them tomorrow, but I don´t know if I´ll end up at that worksite. The catch-word of the trip is ¨flexibilidad!¨ And so it goes, every day, as we make plans and throw them away as suits the moment.

It´s been a different trip from my other Mexico trips... but as they say, every trip is different. I´ll have to reflect on that later, as I am not even sure what I think about it. Guaymas itself is everything I´ve come to expect from a Mexico city; crowded and colorful and full of life. (All kinds of life, some more welcome than others, as Liz pointed out when she told about spotting a mouse in the middle of the night.)

As I am struggling with coherency, I will wrap this up for tonight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rachel and her Dad left for Kansas yesterday, so I expect to see them Sunday. I find that kind of driving insanity-making. But there's always a good book to read...


--Micaela

No comments:

Of Course We Closed

Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...