Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Spring Break!

I'm working all week in the library, but that's a rarity even for me. So instead of no interesting Spring Break news (you don't really want to hear about trips to the YMCA, although a hike at the state park last Friday night was an interesting challenge), I'm posting my daughter's report, mid-trip, on her travel to Mexico with a church mission trip. I'd love for you to add a report of your trip this week, wherever you go, in the comments following.

Let me travel vicariously with you!

Here's Rachel:

~~~~~

Ohhh, Mexico
I'm writing this from Guaymas, Mexico, at a little internet cafe a couple blocks from the church I am staying at. It is a lovely day, with a cool breeze and a warm sun, and it is darn nice to be here. I have a bit of a cold but you can get medicine very cheaply down here, so I paid a dollar for the equivalent of an entire pack of tylenol cold medicine.

We traveled for three days to get here, which is pretty grueling with a sore throat. Everyone is very nice and we've already gotten to be pretty comfortable with each other. There's Elizabeth, our fearless leader, Dad and I, Pastor Jim from the church in Iola, Whit, Georgene, Sandy, and Aaron, as well as Sue, the border coordinator.

This morning Dad and I went to the paint store to buy paint for our project. Actually we started out going to look for the hardward store to buy a replacement jigsaw blade and some STAIN for the project, but the first store we went to didn't have either. However, the proprietor told us where we could get the other things, so we went to the paint store first since it was closest. We were looking at the stains and I saw some colors and I asked Dad if we could use colors, since we're making picnic tables for kids. So instead of stain we got 4 different paint colors and I think they'll be muy fabuloso.

We spent last night at the church here, but the night before we spent at a place in Nogales, Mexico, which is a mission to feed children and migrant workers. This trip has been pretty cushy, with bunk beds or futons for everyone wherever we go. So I am enjoying not sleeping on a concrete floor in spite of not packing along an air mattress.

I'm not sure if I'll get another chance to update... being away from the computer really isn't the hardship I might think under regular circumstances. So here's the basic outline: We'll be back in Nogales sometime Friday, then in Amarillo, TX by Saturday evening, where Dad and I will pick up a car from the airport and head to Cold Water, KS, for him to preach Sunday morning. Then we'll keep pushing to Wichita and on to Pittsburg so that I can get back for rehearsal Sunday night....

But that all seems pretty far away right now.

Peace to the world.

Rachel.
~~~~~~~

Can't wait to see her Sunday. Have a good break, all.

Singing,

Micaela

No comments:

Of Course We Closed

Funny to read that last post and realize within a week we were in the process of closing, too. By March 13, Dr. Krull had it under consider...